Monday I wrote about 5 things that I feel I want to most improve in my role as a mother and wife. I think constantly seeking to grow and change is very important. It is necessary for growth and maturity. If one stays in the same spot their whole life I don’t think they will reach their full potential. I think we will always have things we struggle with, but I think it’s important to constantly be challenging ourself.
However, what I think is equally as important is making sure you realize the strengths you have. It is ok to be proud of yourself (as long as you are not prideful or arrogant) for accomplishing something, working toward something, learning something. It is ok to realize the God-give talents you have, becuase in doing so, I believe you will seek to use those (hopefully!) for God’s glory. If you are always tearing yourself down, ashamed of yourself, getting down on yourself, beating yourself up, etc, I do not believe that is glorifying to God either. It is telling God he didn’t create you “good enough” or “pretty enough” or “smart enough.” I believe that, in a way, it is throwing who God made you to be in His face.
There are several verses in the Bible about using your gifts, talents, and abilities for God’s glory. He equipped each of us with special and unique ones… to use…. not to throw away. Read this parable…
I say all this to lead into my “another 5 things” list. I am going to list 5 things I like about myself, things I am blessed to have, things I feel the Lord has given me to use for His glory to be a more loving, more fun, more (insert adjective here) mother, wife,friend, member of the body of Christ, etc 🙂 I encourage you to think of 5 talents, abilities, etc, that you are thankful the Lord gave you, then challenge yourself to better use those for God’s glory, for His calling in your life, and to better build up the body of Christ.
1) I am thankful for, and I happen to think I am pretty good at, music, singing, making up silly songs 😉 I love singing, and I am so blessed my girls love it to. They love singing with me, making songs up with me, and being silly with it.
“And now… its time for silly songs with” … mommy? LOL. Really though, if ever asked, I would TOTALLY sing for Veggie Tale0s, (OR write some silly songs!) 😛 They need some more girl characters anyway! LOL
2) I am thankful for the love of science that God gave me. I love showing the girls things in nature, the world, how things work, etc, and using it as lessons to show them more about God. WAY COOL 🙂
3) I think I am becoming more creative with cooking. I am becomming less afraid to make stuff up, create things from scratch, create a new dish. I love experimenting with spices and flavors.
4) I truly enjoy encouraging people. I have been told I am good at this, and I am grateful the Lord gave me this gift. I know that I could be even BETTER at it somtimes (especially with poor andrew, who I do snap at sometimes when I am tired, see previous blog…) but I really do feel this is a gift that I have.
5) I am thankful for the gift of creativity the Lord gave me. It is one of the things I love MOST about being a mother. I love being able to use this so much. I love seeing the girls enjoy it. I love seeing THEIR creativity!
I did not give this list to toot my own horn, brag, be prideful or arrogant. I gave this list to show that we need to realize what we ARE in Christ. What we HAVE in Christ. I boast in nothing, only in Christ. Remember…
“But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whichthe world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” Galations 6:14
It is because of Him I have these abilities. I am so thankful for them. I think admitting what we are thankful for, good at, or blessed with can strengthen our walk. It helps us see that God can (and will!) use us. It helps us recognize our talents, so we can better know HOW to use them for His glory! We do need to be aware of our weaknesses, admit them, and work on them… but lets also not forget to admit, and be thankful for, our strengths! After all, they are a gift from God to be USED… not thrown away, hidden, or tossed aside.
“Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.” Colossians 3:23-24
“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.” James 1:17
“For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. For as in one body we have many members,and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.” Romans 12:3-8